It's Great 2B a Second Grader!

My Life in the Classroom

Fluency

Each students has a fluency notebook.  I find poems, mostly online, for us to practice throughout the week.  I like to use http://www.poetry4kids.com/  They have lots of different topics and they are funny too.  Each day we do something different with the poems.


Monday:  I introduce the poem to the kids.  I read it to them a couple of times and then they echo read the poem.
Tuesday:  Kids listen to poem, echo read poem a few times.  Then I give each child a copy of the poem and they cut it out and glue it in their poetry notebook.  Then they draw their mental image of the poem in the journal.
Wednesday,  Read the poem all together and then we read in a variety of ways.  This week I had the girls line up on one side of the room and the boys on the other facing each other.  The girls read one line and then the boys read the next.  Other ideas are each table reads a line, teacher reads a line and students read the next, each person reads a line etc....
Thursday:  We all read together.  Then, they have to read to three different class makes and get their signature on the poem.
Friday:  comprehension quiz over the poem.


BTW, I talked to them about what good fluency sounds like, reading at just the right speed, using expression, using the punctuation etc...


Here is a copy of the quiz that I gave.  I left out a few of the words and they had to fill them in.  No one had any trouble with this.  I was anxious to see how successful they would be answering question #2.   Everyone understood what I was asking.  They referred to the chart posted in the room.

Okay, it looks like there are some typos when I uploaded to Scribd.com, but you get the idea.

Missing Cookie Quiz


0 comments:

Post a Comment


Check out my website!




About Me

Christie Harty
My two passions are teaching and photography. I am starting my 15th year of teaching this fall teaching second grade. I have also taught Kinder, 1st, and 4th grades. I love children's book and making my classroom a welcoming environment for my students. I have developed a love for my special ed kiddos in my class. They teach me something new everyday and are truely special people. I love my two dogs-Bubba and Gracie, my friends, and my family.
View my complete profile

Thanks for stopping by!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.