It's Great 2B a Second Grader!

My Life in the Classroom

Let's Have an Oustanding Day

I thought a lot about my discipline plan over the summer.  Last year I had the kiddos walk laps at recess.  Personally, I don't really like it.  I think that all kids should have a chance to play.  My thinking is that playing may prevent futher behavior issues from arising.  Also, our recess is early in the morning, so sometimes they walked laps for things that they did the previous day, which doesn't really make sense to me.  I asked my friend Shawna, who is an AP, and she suggested that I give the kids that have been "good" a five minute talk time at the end of the day.  I loved the idea, so that's what I went with.  They absolutely love visiting with each other at the end of the day.  I hear all sorts of conversations happening.  The kids are also in charge of filling out their own behavior chart.  They have to pack everything up and get ready to go home before we can have out talk time.  This has really sped up our packing up time.  Which has in the past been my least favorite part of the day.  When they are ready, they wait behind thier desk for everyone else.  AND guess, what I don't have to be the one to nag.  They do that for me!  If a child has changed their color to yellow or red, they have to sit with me at my table.  Our talk time is about their behavior.  BOO!  Who wants to do that?!?! 

Everyone starts out the day on blue. 
Blue is a good day.
Green: Warning
Yellow: 1st offense, talk time with the teacher
Red:  Second offense, talk time with the teacher, note or phone call home
Purple:  The kiddos did something outstanding--especially kind to a friend, be responsible etc....

1 comments:

Casey & Lauren Coats September 11, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

You make me want to come back and teach 2nd grade!! I LOVE this cool discipline idea! Really cute, but also a great visual aid so they REALLY know where they stand with you. Greatness!

Post a Comment


Check out my website!




About Me

Christie Harty
My two passions are teaching and photography. I am starting my 15th year of teaching this fall teaching second grade. I have also taught Kinder, 1st, and 4th grades. I love children's book and making my classroom a welcoming environment for my students. I have developed a love for my special ed kiddos in my class. They teach me something new everyday and are truely special people. I love my two dogs-Bubba and Gracie, my friends, and my family.
View my complete profile

Thanks for stopping by!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.